"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Friday, June 4, 2010

What is it that makes you tick? I see lots of WR girls ticking these days....and I LOVE IT!




I feel so fortunate to be surrounded by such amazing Mom's who have truly grown in their athletic ability. To be on this end to see it happen is wonderful Not only in their ability, but their attitude. Which as we all know, alot of our ability comes from our mental focus, our attitude. I can tell just from the faces of all these ladies that they are "ticking". The hills come, and they conquer them. Its raining out, hot out, buggy out, and they show up and "go for it" (with a smile, mind you!). They have a choice to take the short path or the longer one...they choose the longer one. Option of adding a steep hill to their speed workout, they do it. I love that. You reap what you sow. When you put the work in, it pays off. I have seen this with many of these women, and their strength is much greater than they could imagine. And to top it all off....THEY ARE MOMS! That makes it that much more amazing.




There are a few races coming up that our Whole Running group is planning and I see the nervousness, excitement, the "Do you think I can do it?". We are so fortunate to have such a strength among this group - with the support of each other, the many training partners, the many times that someone is out running (odd hours, look for me!)..surely it is definitely achievable. And achievable with alot of laughs and fun.




Consistency, endurance, and then speed. Consistency is number 1. That is why having a goal keeps you committed that much more. As I see the number go up for signing up for these events, I know they are all a little concerned about the "fitting it in" their schedules - it is a choice of what is done on our time - and it is always necessary to have "your own time". Think of the wonderful investment that you are putting in to your health - think of the wonderful example your kids see. For me...its worth it.




As my son has a saying on one of his shirts that has a big soccer ball on the front "Set your goals high, and don't stop until you get there" it reminds me of the importance of being persistent.




another few that I like:




"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves"


"To think to long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing"


"Live your life as a mission, not as an intermission"


---------------------------------------------------------

So, what makes you tick? What makes you go? Dare to step outside that comfort zone?




3 comments:

  1. Your awesome Jill! Thanks for helping me reach these limits that were once unimaginable!!
    CM

    ReplyDelete
  2. what makes me go? the journey has led me to discovering the limits on our human ability are largely mental and arbitrary. where are my limits? who can i become? one of the greatest gifts i've ever been given- the desire to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, the only reason we are smiling and pushing it, is because you are sneaky! You always pop up with a smile and you make us want to try harder! Thanks!

    Shel, you are an inspiration all on your own! What an awesome person you are and such incredible determination. The fact that you have overcome so much, at such a young age, and state it as just a passing fact, amazed me! I hope to be able to run with you more often.

    Thanks for inspiring me ladies!
    Kathy S

    ReplyDelete