"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE NEED FOR SPEED


Today was a day filled with many runs. Had the desire, had on my schedule to do 20...but, kept going. I never stick to an exact schedule. When you are in the groove, and all is going well and the breath is easy and the body relaxed and your mind strong, then what the heck, just keep going. Never know what tomorrow will bring.


Now there has been alot of talk amongst the WR ladies for SPEEEED. As I have always said and still stand by, first consistency (the January challenge!), then endurance, then speed. Speed comes last. And with all of this talk, its gotten into my head...do I still have some speed in me?


So, today I ran 28 miles split up amongst many runs...and because sometimes I have the "round off the number" syndrome like some of the other girls in our group (and you know who you are.....hmmmmm) I decided to add on 2 more miles - of speed. Speed...lets test the waters and see if you are still there.


5 minute warm up and here I go....raise the treadmill to 3 incline and increase, increase and hold it to a 545 min pace for 2 miles. Loved it. Used my imagination, forced my breath to slow down, barely touching the ground, relaxed my body.. Yep, you're still there...and can't wait to revisit you again...LSD, you've served me well and thankful for it. The saying "in order to run fast, you need to learn to run slow" - slow LSD builds, speed breaks down...there needs to be a balance. First build so you have enough to handle the break down.


Granted, its the treadmill...need to test these legs out in the open.


30 miles, easy day.


"ask yourself, can I give more?" the answer is usually "yes" Paul Tergat




No comments:

Post a Comment