"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Soul to Sole to Soul....

"There is nothing permanent except change"  Heraclitus
2013 I am on the Montrail Team!  4 years lucky! An amazing team with good souls and ROCKIN SOLES! I will be sharing soon about Montrails amazing selection of shoes to fit your sole wherever your soul may take you (mine would be single track, technical, in the middle of nowhere roads...but thats another upcoming story...maybe some deep water crossing too...). In addition, Mountain Hardwear continues to get better and better with their gear - for most of us women we are drawn to the awesome color selections....but don't let the awesome looks be how you choose - the power behind the material and performance is what makes their gear above and beyond ....and I am speaking from many who have given me their feedback. So, the looks grab you, the performance is what keeps you - and that is speaking for shoes, and gear and all the amazing people who are working behind the scenes to give you the best!

 
The 2012 year was a true soul to sole year for me...whoa is the word.  My soul and sole worked alot together to do some challenging stuff which I will leave just at that.  But as in nature and seasons, all is changing and temporary.  
 
 
Below I am sharing a journal that reminds me especially as one year goes and another year begins, to remember my passion. I read often and keeps me to "keep on keeping"
 
 
 WHY I RUN 100 MILE TRAIL RACES

I am all about the journey.  The journey of the 100 mile runs is such a metaphor and teacher for my daily life.  Enjoy the process, not the finish line.  To me, there never is a finish line.  These long journeys are a meditation to bring me into myself, my heart and soul.  I love the two spectrums of being alone for hours and miles to being surrounded by my active kids and my busy life of activities.  The two keep me in check and balance.  They both help me appreciate the other and how fortunate I am to have both, I never take that for granted.

I love that I have to focus on mile 1 when there is 99 to go – to be in the now, to not think nor worry about what the darkness will bring. To take in the surroundings and the peace and the beauty of so much ground that is unknown and never been seen to my eyes.  It is a mystery and wonder to what the next mile will bring – that is what keeps me going.  This again, helps me focus on my life at home – to be in the now of my day and not the worry of all that is to come.  Life, it is a mystery no matter how much control we think we have – it’s a wake up to “God, give me this day” and be surprised.  Trails, to me, are the same feeling and surprise. You truly never know what will happen, but you do the best now and be the best now to the next now, and the next now.  That’s all you can be, is your best.  Challenge yourself, and the growth happens in a way you would never imagine if you didn’t take it on.

I love nature, the colors, the smells of the trees, the feeling of the earth – right under you, running on the earth…this big big ball and feeling so small and insignificant.  When out West, everything is so much bigger and you are swallowed by the forest around you.  The thought of who and how many have been on this earth where I briefly planted my foot – no sidewalks replaced, just a ground that is moving, adjusting and adapting to the steps it is enduring from all who have been there – history of feet.  Not at all like a sidewalk that has been replaced over and over.  

I am not a creature of habit and trails help me change things up.  Nature alone is such a wonderful process of dying and rebirth.  Even though I truly love running through new ground, the same ground is different every day, every season.  It dyes and rebirths year after year.  It is truly cleansing to my soul and exercise to my eyes.

I love at night, when the world is asleep (most of the world that is!) running in the woods and hearing the night sounds – the sounds that get my heart racing and my feet to keep moving! Who are those eyes that glow through the bushes and wonder who I may be? We both may be thinking the same thoughts.

My imagination is never so vivid as running in the woods.  I dream, I pretend, I make up songs, I talk out loud, I act silly …. I dare to be different.  I want to be different.  The questions of who am I come up often and with a smile – to answer, I am me and I am here and here is where I want to be – in the trails.  100 mile races are a retreat for my soul and rejuvenate me to return to my other wonderful life of kids which I am glad we all together can enjoy the gift of the woods ...and it is a gift, and a mystery, and a continuous journey....
2013 bring it on....and lets see some greatness out there!!!



 
"You must be the change you wish to see in this world" Ghandi







 

 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great to read a new post! I love the new look of the blog. I love this quote you wrote: "Challenge yourself, and the growth happens in a way you would never imagine if you didn’t take it on." Thank you for your inspiration and for teaching me how to challenge myself! See you on the trails....

    ReplyDelete