"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Run off the Beaten Path...and other thoughts...



What a wonderful day! Running in the trails, off the beaten path. It was tough, but it was beautiful! I so admire the strength and determination of all of these women. We are all Mom's of children of various ages...yet the support we give each other is amazing. And getting out in the trails...we go. It is an escape from the ordinary world. We leave our "Mom World" for a moment and let our feet and minds wander....let our eyes get the exercise of beauty in the peaceful woods.






Which brings me to two of my favorite authors, Henry Thoreau and Ralph Waldo Emerson. Two Men who strived for the simplicity of life. Something about the woods, nature, and how just being out in it can really bring out so much joy, so many deep thoughts solved, so much energy....if you can avoid the treadmill...avoid it at all costs! I have been in the woods at all hours of the night, all levels of snow, and am loving it. The other night I had such an amazing run in the dark through the rolling hills, running in the off the beaten path and the deep snow (high knees!)..feeling like a kid flying up and down - and the feeling of being free. Silence, the glow of the snow, the simple sounds.




Running....it is such a natural simple sport - always discovering, exploring....


"an early morning walk (run) is a blessing for the whole day" Thoreau

"in my afternoon walk (run!) I would fain forget all my morning occupations and my obligations to society" Thoreau

"In wilderness is the preservation of the world" Thoreau


"A life is an experiment, the more experiments you make the better." Emerson

"Always do what you are afraid to do" Emerson

"Beauty without expression, is boring" Emerson

"The creations of a thousand forests is in one acorn" Emerson


I hope all of you girls enjoyed the run today! I did, and can't wait to take you to new and exciting places to explore!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Jill,

    You might also like:

    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately."
    Henry David Thoreau

    or Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.

    ReplyDelete