"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Feeling of being somewhere new is AWESOME!

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson











explore: to search into or travel for purpose of discovery. That is what I love about the trails - sometimes the search into is within, and sometimes on the outside for new ground to cover- both give me a high, and reminds me how it feels to show the WR girls a new place.
I am not a creature of habit. I love to test the waters, go somewhere new and step outside that comfort. No fear, only that sense of feeling like I am the first one to ever discover this place (especially when there is no trail blazed and no foot prints in the snow!). It makes me feel ALIVE! Not only that, it takes away the known...and the reality of life, truly...it is all unknown. What is known is now, and when running somewhere new gives the true feeling of the now. I love that. So I try, once a week, to venture off and discovery a new trail as part of my LSD. LSD is just for time on my feet - its not about hill repeats, speed....just time. A building run.
Drive one direction in Central New York for 20 minutes and there can be no snow, the other...lots of snow. And that is what was faced today - a bit more snow! But...because the excitement was there to be on a new trail, the workout was worth it!
Living outside the Adirondacks has been such a wonder and with access to so many trails - many within 20 minutes (yes WR girls...I know I drive fast to those new places...but I want to show them off and have more running time for you!).
I will continue to discover - and I hope I will have some who want to join in...yes, even in territories not yet treaded on....just think what a great workout it is running in the deep snow! ;)
On my second run of the day with the night running group, the snow had a sheet of ice under it...and only if you made your own footprints were you safe not to fall..a great metaphor of life "Leave your Own Mark, your own Footprint"....I like that, following your own path.

2 comments:

  1. Love to read the blogs for inspiration; ecspecially when I am carting kids from activity to activity it gets me psyched for "my" time to make my own path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill!
    A beautiful post! You and I are kindred spirits in many ways...Yet I am A CREATURE of Habit! I love the predictable and what to expect...Yet I have your gear too, "the adventure gear", that most easily comes out running in the outdoors and I am flying and I vibrate with "bring it on!"
    Joy to you in 2011! Bring it on Fast, awesome Jill!

    ReplyDelete