"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

"Its not what you look at, its what you see" Thoreau

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Resisting the Urge to STOP - "Fall 7 times, stand up 8" Japanese Proverb

"Nobody trips over mountains, it is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain - Author Unknown
Somethings are out of our control. I believe the true control is to give up knowing that you have control and be willing to change the plans when needed. Being a problem solver, not a problem finder. We can do that in so many areas in our life. Anyhow, getting back to out of control things, for one, weather - we will never be able to control the damn weather - and here is my story of my out of control yet realizing what I could control which has lead me to a much more exciting path!
Rocky Raccoon 100 miler was a race that I wanted to rock this early February. All geared up, putting the miles in, resting...etc etc. Thursday, the day I am planning to leave the phone rings
"Hello, this is US Airways (mind you, an automated call - ugh). We are calling to tell you your flight to Texas has been cancelled due to weather". Well that just put me in a spin - and there was NO POSSIBLE way for me to get to that race. It pretty much ruined my Thursday and part of my Friday...and thankfully I quickly changed gears(thanks to a few "voice of reason" friends) and learned a whole heck of a lot.........
Going to that race meant more than the race. It was a goal worked toward, it was a chance to get away, clear my head and have some peace in the woods (yes, running 100 miles in the woods is peace to me, a bit unusual). Oh, and an added note to hopefully rock the race! But, all plans change -
A friend told me a a wonderful retreat place where you are required to stay two nights - the two things I heard were trails and vegetarian meals...all over that. What I didn't really hear was vow of silence, no phone calls, TV, music(except for the music room), no visitors..... but the curious me went with it.
Being in silence for two days is magical and let me tell you my runs were amazing. I felt a renewed energy in so many ways. I read a whole book, I wrote, etc...the meals were great! I ran and got lost in the woods for hours in the deep snow and cold - and oh, went and did it again at night! I'll have to admit, the silence part was a bit to get over but to take a step back and really look at things is such a gift. I am thankful in many ways to be thrown out of my comfort zone, be flexible, try something new. I consider that moment, that "retreat" if you want to call it, was a big fall but a big get up.
So, the next race which my Montrail teammate convinced me to go, is a trans race - different than a 100 miler all in one. This will be a 3 day ultra race in a much more challenging course which will be a preparation for the 6 day trans race in August. And I am so excited to try, try again and try something new.
Yet, if the weather stops me.....I know there is options. And all I have to say to that is BRING IT ON.
"If one dream should fall and break in to a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick up one of those pieces and try again" ....because, you never know what awaits you, do you?

2 comments:

  1. jill, i'm sorry you missed your race, but happy you found some silence. on to the next thing....

    ReplyDelete